Tuesday 18 June 2013

Clay Coins


My Grade Ones have been studying the symbols of Canada and I had them design a new Canadian coin to make out of clay.  A couple of years ago when we hosted the 2010 Winter Olympics here in Vanccouver I did a similar project, but we designed Olympic medals.

I have been collecting stamps at Michael's on a regular basis.  You can't beat $1.50 for a rubber stamp (and sometimes I get them even cheaper!)  Amongst my collection I have these wonderful Canadian themed stamps:



I do have a few others but the designs aren't suitable for imprinting in clay.

After looking at the similarities between all our Canadian coins we decided they all neede a picture/symbol, the word Canada, and a value.  Student used small letter set stamps for the words.

We fired the finished coins once and then painted with metalic acrylic paint - which got many ooohs and aaahs!








3 comments:

  1. What kind of clay did you use on the Canada coins?
    Many Thanks,
    C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Low fire ceramic clay, most likely an Amaco brand bought at Michael's. I do not use air dry clay for clay tile type projects anymore. I find it too fragile.

      Delete
  2. Dearest Esteems,

    We are Offering best Global Financial Service rendered to the general public with maximum satisfaction,maximum risk free. Do not miss this opportunity. Join the most trusted financial institution and secure a legitimate financial empowerment to add meaning to your life/business.

    Contact Dr. James Eric Firm via
    Email: fastloanoffer34@gmail.com
    Best Regards,
    Dr. James Eric.
    Executive Investment
    Consultant./Mediator/Facilitator

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

You May Also Like

Followers